Hair loss treatment in Pune
“Hair loss” is a very common terminology often used by everyone of us to describe the most common complaint we suffer on and off in our lifetime. Hair loss can be normal or abnormal based on the its trigger, underlying pathological conditions, age, hormonal issues and severity. Not every patient suffering from Hair loss problem needs aggressive treatment. A detail understanding about the reason behind Hair fall helps in proper treatment towards controlling hair fall.
There are different causes of hair fall based on the age of individual and underlying trigger.
- Hair fall in kids is often linked with the nutritional deficiencies. Lifestyle changes in order to correct nutrition is the first step towards the treatment.
- Hair fall in pubertal age children is mainly due to hormonal changes.
- Hair fall in middle age can be due to middle age hormonal issues like PCOD, hypothyroidism, stress, post-partum or after child birth, incorrect lifestyle, lack of physical activity, chemical treatment to hair, Hair coloring, smoothening, bonding, perming, straightening.
- Hair fall in menopausal age in female is linked with hormone withdrawal phase of body and due to calcium deficiencies.
- Hair fall in early 20’s and late 30’ male is mainly due to familial history of baldness and due to effect of DHT on thick and terminal Hair follicles.
Apart from this age correlation, certain acute triggers like child birth, any major illness, sudden stress, crash dieting, sudden weight loss or weight gain can also cause massive hair shedding. This sudden hair shedding usually starts after 3 months from any trigger and usually gets settle on its own in 3 to 6 months. This is often a temporary hair loss which is called as Telogen Effluvium. This Hair falls occurs mainly due to sudden switching of Anagen or growing stage of Hair into Telogen or falling stage of Hair follicle. A detail understanding, scalp examination is needed to diagnose the problem.
Who gets Hair loss?
Hair loss can affect both Male and Female, children at any stages of their life.
How does Hair grow?
Hair re more commonly seen on most surfaces of our body except palms, soles, Lips and eyelids. Hair can be very fine, thin on certain parts of our body such as face called villus Hair or it can be thick like in underarms, beard hair especially in adult males.
Every Hair on our body grows in a cycle, this cycle of Hair growth is periodically placed I everyone’s life.
There are 3 main stages of hair growth cycle
1] Anagen- Growing stage of Hair cycle.
2] Catagen -This is a dormant stage of hair follicle, where follicle does not grow. This cycle last for 2 to 3 weeks.
3]Telogen– This is a falling stage of hair cycle which last for 1 to 4 months.
Anagen or growing stage of hair follicle Is genetically determined and person who has genetically long anagen cycle, has longer hair.
Hair loss can be of different types based on the causative factors involved in it.
There are various types of Hair loss-
- Male Pattern Hair loss
- Female pattern Hair loss
- Telogen Effluvium
- Alopecia Areata
- Traction Alopecia
Treatment for these types of Hair loss is individualistic and needs interventions at right time to avoid complications and further loss.
Male Pattern Hair Loss-
Male pattern Hair loss is also called as androgenetic alopecia which occurs mainly due to androgens and genetic predisposition towards Hair loss. This is the most common type of Hair loss in adult men.
What is Male Pattern Hair Loss?
Male pattern hair loss usually starts with the frontal hair line recession in males along with the temporal angle or side angle hair thinning. Some people also show diffuse thinning on entire scalp. This type of hair loss is very gradual and progressive in nature. The main causative factor In Male pattern Hair loss is action of DHT hormone on thin and weaker hair follicles.
DHT hormone needs receptors to act and these DHT receptors are present on Hair follicles on frontal, mid scalp and crown area. DHT is responsible for thinning of thick hair roots and conversion of them into thin, villus hair. This leads to progressive hair thinning and baldness
What is the best treatment for male pattern Hair loss?
Best treatment or Hair loss has to be directed based on the detail evaluation and understanding of all possible causative factors and triggers for Hair loss.
Treatment of Hair loss is individualized and may vary based on the type of hair loss and causative factors.
However, Male pattern Hair loss can be treated very effectively if diagnosed at early stage of hair loss.
Male pattern Hair loss can be seen in 7 different grades.
Look at the given picture to understand it in better way.
Treatment for treating Male pattern Hair loss includes
- Nutritional evaluation to understand deficiencies of certain vitamins such as Vit B12, Vit D, Heamoglobin level is first step towards the treatment.
- Most people have underlying scalp infections like dandruff, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Scalp folliculitis associated with Male pattern hair loss. This causes inflammation at the level of hair root and make it weak and can make it more susceptible for damage. Treatment towards the control of scalp infection is necessity before starting any procedural treatment for Hair loss.
- Oral Finasteride is a DHT blocker and mainstay of treatment in Male Pattern Hair loss. Oral finasteride helps to control progressive Hair thinning and miniaturization of Hair follicle.
- Topical Minoxidil is FDA approved treatment for treating male pattern Hair loss. This is a US FDA approved formula. Topical Minoxidil when applied on the thinned-out hair, it causes vasodilation of blood vessels underneath the hair follicle which helps in giving various nutrients, oxygen to the weaker hair roots.
- Certain procedural line of treatment includes Dermaroller, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, Mesotherapy, Low level Laser light Therapy, Hair transplant are most advanced treatments which are very commonly used to treat Male and Female pattern Hair loss.
Point to note, we are born with limited number of Hair follicles and there is no any treatment which can generate new hair follicles on our scalp, hence each single hair follicle is important for us.
Address your Hair fall issues on time before it’s too late.
Visit a best Hair loss doctor near you to understand more about your Hair loss.