Female Pattern Hair loss
Female pattern hair loss is a most common type of hair loss in female especially in them having family history of hair thinning or baldness either on paternal or maternal side. It is usually present with the diffuse thinning of hair on entire scalp.
In female pattern Hair loss patient usually complains of gradual recession of frontal hair line along with the impaired growth and thinning of existing hair.
This leads to visibility of inside scalp through the hair.
In FPHL, patient may not always complain of active hair shedding, but the impaired growth and thinning of scalp hair.
Female Pattern Hair loss presents with the
- Diffuse thinning on all over scalp, not in patches.
- Reduced size of pony tail.
- Diffuse hair loss is most often hereditary, but it can also be caused by underlying medical conditions.
- Female pattern hair loss (FPHL) is a distinctive form of hair loss that occurs in women with androgenetic alopecia.
- In FPHL, there is diffuse thinning of hair on the scalp due to increased hair shedding or a reduction in hair volume, or both.
- It is normal to lose up to 50-100 hairs a day.
- on Trico scope: diffuse thinning with sign of miniaturization present.
What causes female pattern hair loss?
- Genetic predisposition or family history. -People having family history of baldness or hair thinning are prone to develop pattern hair loss.
- Stress – Can trigger hair loss if its persistent.
- Nutritional deficiencies- Deficiency of certain vitamins like Vit b12, Vit D, low level of Hemoglobin can also trigger hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalance-FPHL is more commonly seen in females more commonly after menopause and in younger female having PCOS and irregular menses.
- Medicinal causes- Overuse of certain medications can also trigger hair loss.
- Scalp infections- Scalp infections like dandruff, Seborrheic Dermatitis, scalp folliculitis, psoriasis can cause inflammation at the level of hair root, which can trigger hair shedding.
What is the best treatment for Female pattern hair loss?
FPHL is a multifactorial and needs to treat holistically to get best results of treatment. Early treatment in initial grade of hair thinning often gives good results.
Before going for any treatment, person has to get evaluated thoroughly to understand the underlying causative factors for hair thinning.
A detail scalp examination for infection, nutritional evaluation, psychological counselling, to check for hormonal imbalance if any is must before undergoing any treatment.
Based on the detail investigation of patient, treatment can be designed which includes oral and topical medications, hair growth serums containing topical minoxidil, hair growth peptides, multivitamins, certain evidence-based treatments like Mesotherapy, PRP, Dermaroller, Low level laser light therapy can be done to get best results of treatment.
One must take proper care and follow the maintenance even after the treatment to maintain the results in long run.
Visit a best hair loss doctor near you to understand more about your hair loss.