All About Acne
What is Acne?
Acne which is also called as Pimples, is a common disorder of skin which involves hair follicle and sebaceous gland.
Why do we get Acne/Pimples?
Pimples are formed due to overactivity of sebaceous gland due to excess androgens or hormone production which happens mainly at the time of puberty or adolescence.
What are the causes of pimples?
Pimples on the skin can happen due to variety of reasons such as
- Genetic and Hereditary – Person who has genetic predominance of having pimples in any of their parents or siblings.
- Oily skin- Excess oiliness on skin can clog your pores and give you acne.
- Hormonal Changes– Hormonal changes which occurs at the age of puberty and adolescent age has direct impact on oil glands which leads to overproduction of sebum/oil from the sebaceous gland and blockage of pores on the skin.
- Environmental factors- Environmental changes, humidity, heat can also trigger acne.
- Cosmetics– Wrong use of oil based, cloggy cosmetics can trigger formation of acne especially when person is having oily skin.
- High glycemic Diet – High glycemic food means food which can immediately shoot your blood sugar levels such as ice cream, chocolates, sweets, aerated drinks, spicy, preserved junk food, dairy products, milk etc. can also trigger your acne in some cases.
Types of Acne :
What are the causes of pimples?
Not every individual having acne needs aggressive treatment.
Early stages of acne like small comedones, whiteheads and blackheads can be treated very effectively with certain topical creams like benzoyl Peroxide gels, Niacinamide, clindamycin creams along with correction in your daily skincare routine.
But, If your pimples doesn’t respond to these corrections and are more infective and pustular, then its time to meet best Skin doctor near your area, who can examine your skin properly and guide you on the right way of treatment at right time before acne leaves permanent scars on your face.
How can I treat my acne more effectively without getting any complications?
These are the sets of questions which comes to your mind whenever you want to treat your pimples and you are tired of multiple treatments which doesn’t seems to be very effective.
These are the simple guidelines which will help you to control your pimples-
- First know your basic skin type- Most of us having problem of Acne, has Oily to combination skim.
- Choose right skin care product for your skin- If your skin is very oily choose your skin care products which are gel or based, non- comedogenic [ which will not clog your pores] and exfoliating face wash with salicylic or glycolic acid in it.
- Choose a right Sunscreen – Oily and acne prone skin tend to get more dark spots after healing of infective acne and tanning due to sun exposure. A right Gel based, broad spectrum sunscreen will protect your skin from harmful effects of sunlight and post acne pigmentation.
- Follow healthy lifestyle– Hormones mainly androgens play very important role when it comes to acne. Hormones, Diet and your lifestyle are directly proportional to each other. Imbalance in any of these can directly affect your skin and may give you breakouts. Monitor your weight and follow good and healthy balanced diet to keep your skin always healthy, glowing and hydrated.
- Meet best skin specialist near you if you are on the right track as per above mentioned guidelines and still getting acne.
- Your dermatologist will examine your skin very closely and guide you on the right choice of treatment.
What is the best treatment for Acne?
Oral and Topical Creams- If you recently started getting acne and your acne are very mild in its initial stage, then basic topical creams like benzyls peroxide gel, Clindamycin gels, Niacinamide gels can help you to control them. Oral Zinc supplements also helps to control the process of skin keratinization which is responsible for slogging pores and giving you breakouts.
Role of Anti-Acne medications – Oral Anti Acne medicines are usually prescribed if you are getting more severe, pustular and cystic grade of Acne. Hormonal Acne which are very resistant and recurrent to the basic line of treatment are treated with retinoids which are vitamin A derivative. However, your Dermatologist and experienced skincare expert is the best person to decide on this.
Chemical Peels – Chemical peels are the boon to the field of dermatology. This is one of the best treatments for treating acne and used widely.