Black Neck, also termed as dark neck or Acanthosis Nigricans, is generally a condition where the skin around your neck is visibly darker compared to the surrounding skin.
In most cases, Acanthosis Nigricans affect the neck, groin, and armpits, the dark areas typically turning velvety and becoming thickened. Moreover, it may appear in body folds like knuckles, knees, elbows, feet soles, palms, lips, and other areas.
Symptoms of Black Neck/Acanthosis Nigricans:
- Hyperpigmentation with skin becoming darker
- Hyperkeratosis where skin becomes thicker
- Velvety patches
- An unusual odor
- Excessive roughness
- A gradual change in color
- Redness, swelling, or warmth
However, it’s imperative to consult a doctor if you encounter the following symptoms:
- High blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Missed periods
- Pain in the abdominal region
Avail the Acanthosis Nigricans Treatment at Eva Pimples, Skin & Hair Clinic, Pune, under the consultation of certified, experienced doctors and dermatologists, and keep your Black Neck problem at bay!
Causes of Black Neck/Acanthosis Nigricans:
- Lack of hygiene
- Repeated friction owing to neckpieces (the above three reasons are mere assumptions.)
- Having too much insulin in the blood
- Children who are at higher risk of developing diabetes 2
- Cancerous tumors in internal organs like the liver or stomach
- Cholesterol medications, including nicotinic acid
- Oral contraceptives
- Hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone due to low activity levels of thyroid glands)
- Growth hormone therapy
- Disorders of the pituitary gland
- Addison’s disease deficiency of hormones from the adrenaline gland
Acanthosis Nigricans Treatment Options:
- Medications – One can use medications as part of Acanthosis Treatment, containing tretinoin, lactic acid, or glycolic acid to get rid of Black Neck or pigmentation. A combination of medicines juxtaposed with treatments works wonders. Consult a dermatologist to guide you through!
- Chemical Peels – In Chemical Peels treatment they aid in exfoliating dead skin to unearth or unveil fresher, newer skin that lies beneath. They’re considered an effective medical Acanthosis Nigricans Treatment alternative in a bid to get rid of darkened skin such as Black Neck. An experienced dermatologist can help you in achieving the desired results, taking anywhere from eight weeks or more to show up.
- Microdermabrasion – It’s a painless, non-invasive exfoliation treatment carried out by a trained professional or certified dermatologist, which involves rejuvenation and improvement of the skin’s surface.
- Lasers – Laser treatment for Black Neck or any other skin region, make use of targeted beams of light for reducing hyperpigmentation. The new skin cells that’re formed, impart a tighter, firmer, younger-looking texture to the skin’s surface. In this respect, a dermatologist is the most sought-after professional to perform this clinical procedure.
- Creams & Ointments – One of the first-line Acanthosis Nigricans Treatment options is topical retinoids. Also, other brightening treatments work well for skin around the neck area thereby making it easier to penetrate deep into the skin. Make sure to look out for products containing alpha-hydroxy acids or AHAs like glycolic and lactic acids, antioxidants, and Vitamin C.
Home Remedies for Black Neck/Acanthosis Nigricans:
Below given home remedies are generalized approaches towards pigmentation treatment, however, you may need expert dermatologist consultation before opting for this as it may cause skin irritation for sensitive skin.
These home remedies are not proven but rather evidence-based research from collective data.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – It helps to balance the pH level of the skin, the presence of malic acid acting as a facilitator in removing dead skin cells, giving a natural glow and shine to the skin. Apply a combination of four tablespoons of water and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a cotton ball on your neck. Leave it for ten minutes and then rinse it off with water. Do this regularly for visibly best results.
- Potato Juice – Potatoes are endowed with qualities known to lighten the skin considerably apart from eliminating dark patches such as Black Neck, and evens out skin tone and texture. Grate one small potato and squeeze the juice out of it. Apply the mixture to affected regions and allow it to dry completely. Then rinse it off with water and repeat this once or twice daily.
- Ubtan – A traditional skincare ritual using herbs and powders, is an excellent way to lighten and brighten up your skin whilst adding a soft and radiant glow to the skin. Combine two tablespoons of besan (gram flour), half a teaspoon of lemon juice, and a dash of turmeric, along with some rose water to create a consistent paste. Thereafter, spread the mixture on your neck, leave it on for about fifteen minutes, rinsing off with water afterwards. Follow this regime twice a week.
- Almond Oil – It’s enriched with Vitamin E, which aids in rejuvenating and smoothening out the skin tone whilst enhancing skin complexion. For reducing pigmentation such as Black Neck and others, mix almond oil with tea tree oil or coconut oil and massage it into the affected area for about ten to fifteen minutes. Keep this doing regularly for noticeable results.
How is Black Neck/Acanthosis Nigricans Diagnosed?
If one notices a darkening around the neck region, then it’s advisable to consult a doctor. A dark neck is sometimes a sign of thyroid and prediabetes. Doctors tend to diagnose its underlying causes by examining the affected area.
They usually check blood sugar levels and recommend other tests like X-rays and blood tests if required.
Essential Preventive Tips:
- Losing weight is related to obesity.
- Replace refined carbohydrates with whole-grain foods.
- Consume foods rich in fiber such as fresh fruits & vegetables.
- Minimize snacking on foods with high saturated fats like samosas, pastries, chips & biscuits.
- Drink low-fat milk or skim milk instead of whole milk. On similar lines, wheat bread instead of milk bread.
- Eat low-fat meals.
- Drinks plenty of water.
- Exercise regularly.
- Manage stress & anxiety.
- Treat underlying problems like diabetes, and hypothyroidism.
- Stay away from medications aggravating or worsening the condition.
Get Acanthosis Nigricans Treatment done at Eva Pimples, Skin & Hair Clinic in Wakad & Hinjewadi, Pune India, providing treatment for Black Neck, Laser Hair Removal Treatment, Skin Brightening Treatment, Acne Pustules Treatment, Acne Pigmentation, Pimples, Dark Spots, Dark Eyelids, Uneven Skin Tone, having more than 11 years of experience in the realm of Dermatology, Aesthetic Cosmetology & Trichology, Hair Transplant (fue) surgery.
Its modern, updated treatment and modalities are performed by a skilled and competent team of certified Dermatologists, Cosmetologists and trichologists, Hair Transplant surgeons & clinical aestheticians. We use a multi-pronged-360-degree approach with clinically proven treatment modalities that’re safe and result-driven combined with reasonable customized plans.
Our bevy of services includes Skin Pigmentation, Treatment for Acne, Acne Scar Removal, Hair Transplant, and Skin Tag under the consultation of renowned doctors- Dr. Preeti Raut, Dr. Pooja V, Dr. Shalthiel Sathe, Dr. Poonam Sathe.
We leave no stone unturned to decipher the astounding services!