Should I apply sunscreen to my 5-year-old?
Does kid need sunscreen?
How to choose best sunscreen for kids?
Many of us, are unware about importance of using sunscreen in kids. Ideally kids also needs sunscreen to protect their skin from harmful effects of sun and photoaging. Any child after 6 months of his age can use sunscreen.
Follow these simple guidelines to protect skin of your loved one………
1. Skin of your child is very delicate and hence needs to be handled with caution. Always go for physical sunscreen which is named as broad spectrum. Broad spectrum sunscreen protects your child from harmful effects of UVA and UVB Rays.
2. Always remember to use a sunscreen which is water resistant, as it will remain on your child skin even after lot of sweating.
3. Reapply sunscreen every 3 hourly to get optimum protection from it.People often think that higher SPF sunscreen gives protection entire day, but it’s not the fact.
4. Only SPF[ sun-protection factor] should not be the deciding factor when it comes to sunscreen. Even SPF 30 can give best protection if reapplied every 3 hourly than using SPF 50 once in a day.
5. Choose a mineral based physical sunscreen containing titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide for your kid as it will not irritate your child’s sensitive skin.
6. Use a right quantity of sunscreen to cover all exposed parts of body including face, neck, shoulders, ear, hands, feet etc.! 1 Ounce means 2 to 3 tablespoon of sunscreen is needed to cover all these exposed parts.