Acne scars could annoy anyone. While some acne scars fade away naturally, severe cases may require undergoing clinical treatment. Acne laser treatment is one such option. It helps minimize the appearance of scars from old acne breakouts. If you plan to undergo laser treatment for acne scars, this blog can help explore a few essential aspects.
What is Laser Treatment for Acne Scars?
Laser treatment for acne scars involves focusing light on the skin’s top layers to break up the scar tissue. Simultaneously, the process helps foster the growth of new and healthy skin cells and replace scar tissue. It must be remembered that acne scar laser treatment does not remove acne scars completely.
It reduces their appearance and the pain the scars can cause. However, the treatment might not be suitable for people with active acne, highly wrinkled skin, or a darker skin tone. Thus, a dermatologist’s consultation is a must.
Now, how does laser treatment for acne scars work? It does so in two ways.
First, the laser’s heat removes the skin’s top layer where a scar is developed. The removal of the scar’s top layer makes the skin appear smoother and the scar mark less prominent.
When the scar tissue breaks, heat, and light stimulate the growth of new and healthy skin cells. The laser’s heat helps enhance blood flow. Also, targeting the blood vessels in the scar helps reduce inflammation.
Types of Laser Treatment for Acne Scars
Some common types of acne laser treatment include the following.
- Fractionated Laser Treatment: It aims to create multiple micro-injuries on the skin which stimulates the formation of new collagen and elastin tissues to improve the texture and appearance of the scar.
- Ablative Laser Resurfacing: It uses erbium YAG or carbon dioxide CO2 laser and focuses on removing the skin’s entire top layer in the scarred area.
- Non-Ablative Laser Resurfacing: It uses infrared lasers. Its heat aims to trigger collagen production and stimulate new cell growth to replace the scarred tissue.
Benefits of Acne Scar Laser Treatment
Some benefits of acne scar laser treatment include the following.
- Minimally -Invasive and Painless: This type of Laser treatment is performed with topical or cream anesthesia hence painless and comfortable to go for. Hence, no wounds, and therefore the treatment is non-invasive and painless.
- No Blood Loss: Because the process does not involve major making deep incisions or cuts, patients do not lose any blood.
- Quicker Recovery: Laser acne scar treatments have a recovery time lesser than age-old methods. Usually, the face returns to normal in a week or so.
- Minimized Infection Risk: Since no cuts are involved, the onset of infections is less likely.
Potential Side Effects of Laser Treatment for Acne Scar-
Although painless and minimally invasive, laser treatment for acne might cause some potential side effects if not done right and under the guidance of skilled skin experts and professionals. The type of side effects and their intensity may vary from person to person.
Acne scar laser treatment involves downtime or recovery time after treatment. The downtime may vary based on the type of laser being used. This includes the appearance of redness, inflammation, and swelling in the treated area which resolves within 4 to 8 days. Strict photoprotection is advised to get complete recovery without pigmentation. You should consult your dermatologist to know more about the treatment’s possible side effects.
Treat your acne scar with acne scar laser treatment and regain your confidence with Eva Skin Clinic! We have treated thousands of patients and delivered successful results.
Connect with us at +91 788 799 1919 to book an appointment with our experienced dermatologists.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to prevent acne?
Some effective ways to prevent acne include,
- Maintaining the right skin hygiene and skincare routine.
- Ensuring regular and proper, dermatologist-recommended skincare
- Washing the face twice daily and after sweating
- Keeping your hands off the face
- Avoiding harsh scrubbing of the face
Can over-washing the face worsen acne?
Yes. Overwashing can irritate the skin and increase breakouts. The key to preventing acne is washing the face twice a day.
What to eat to prevent acne?
Eating oily foods, sweets, or consuming dairy products is believed to cause acne. But that is true in all the cases. Acne is the result of hormones stimulating the oil glands and producing sebum that clogs the pores. The pores become a breeding ground for bacteria that leads to inflammation and breakouts. Nevertheless, maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet, recommended by an expert is still necessary.